Categories

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Oh My Gulay!

First off, "Oh My Gulay" is actually a real interesting resto in Baguio. We have been there twice, first time was good but the second time nearly half the menu was unavailable.....only in the Pines. 

Second, new planting and new gulay! What I have planted this time around is okra (in the opposite location it was in before) as well as sitaw (string beans) and red bell type peppers. As you can see the okra and sitaw are coming along nicely but we are still waiting for the red peppers. The “trellise” is simply made out of bamboo and string. I bought a whole bundle of bamboo that I then cut to size with my badass bolo for only 45 pesos or basically 1 dollar. The excess string was tied to the top of the trellise and then draped downward to give the sitaw something easy to climb.

There is also lemon grass and one lonely pineapple that is struggling along.....

For this planting cycle I added 3 barrels of bokashi compost and a half sack of “magic mix” from Bountiful Harvest. Magic mix is a intense mixture of certain nutrients that the specific soil in my area lacks. When mixing in the bokashi and also when mixing the soil to form rows and lines I simply sprinkled it in.

If you have not heard, the manager of Bountiful Harvest, Simon Gill, passed away recently from a heart attack. His wife, Jinky, is improving and has continued to operate the farm. Please send your thoughts and prayers.

Okra

Sorry its sideways but with the slow internet I am NOT re-uploading 
Looking the other way


string and trellise that the sitaw will climb

View of the entire garden
Cut malunngay tree, coming back strong. I planted the top of it nearby and it is already sprouting! 




3 comments:

JOAN AND GREG said...

Sending thoughts and prayers to Jinky... Wish I had some bamboo at hand now that I am thinking of firing up the greenhouse for planting here! I read up on the malunngay tree, seems very versatile with alot of the tree having edible parts. Lemon grass is really a flavorful addition, I use it in Thai soup. You are lucky being able to plant now, we had a dusting of snow last night... Love the pictures, will look for more pics as the garden grows! Love Mom and Dad

tommyboy050 said...

Not time to plant our garden yet, like greg said, we had a dusting of snow and we all thought summer was here. We grew tomatoes and cucumbers last year and will this year and may add something else. Need to add to the garden space this year. You must have a long growing season since it is warm most of the time.

Carol said...

Hello Matt and Krystal,
There is nothing like fresh organic vegetables! Krystal’s grandfather would say you are what you eat, how true. You will have to share some of you garden knowledge with me when you two come home to the states. I didn’t realize Krystal married a gardener. HAHA! Peace, stay safe love MumC.