Categories

Thursday, October 18, 2012

Coming Home (Probably Part I)


Many have said that the United States of America was founded on Puritan values of hard work and piety and, somewhat ironically, explains the desire and focus of America on wealth, power, status and, expressed more negatively; gluttony. While Puritans arrived during what has been termed the, “Great Puritan Migration” around 1630 they were much later arrivals than many other “discovers” of American beginning with Columbus in 1492 (although clearly Columbus is given much more hype than is due and was not the first) yet their ethos remains strong.  While the belief and following of God did not hold sway for everyone in the US the notion of pulling yourself up by your own bootstraps remained.
                Now, this is not to say that the United States is unique in this characteristic, or that the population of the US demonstrates these qualities in each and every person. This is also not to say that this characteristic is purely a positive one. However, the workplace of the US, and in some ways, social interactions are shaped by this force. Growing up in the US, they are not always apparent but compared to the workplace and life style of the Philippines they are brought into sharp resolution.  I have talked about many of the differences between American and Philippine work and life styles before and I have gotten used to and thoroughly enjoy and appreciate the benefits of both. However, as the end of Peace Corps service approaches the fear of adapting to the more strict and stressful American work place causes worry.  At a simple level I remember the stress of not being able to locate my keys before work and rushing and speeding in order to make sure that I am not even five minutes late.  I remember eating lunch like a machine in a 20-30 minute school or work break. This has carried over in the Philippines as I naturally consume my meal far before my Filipino counterparts have really started theirs.
                On the other side, I am readily looking forward to stores opening on time, for the American assumed guarantee that such and such a person will be at such and such a place at the time agreed upon or the time the store sign says. Although this is what can lead to the common American stress and anger if things do not go exactly or as fast as expected, I am hopeful of my increased ability to fight the stressed caused by unexpected delays but concerned about my ability to adapt back to the American culture of strict, minute control of my time.    

2 comments:

tommyboy050 said...

"Coming home probably"?? do not say this is so... You know we all want you back in the states but you gotta go where your life leads you. Heck, I almost moved to guatemala, so I am not one to talk. We have a wedding date now, Sept 7, 2013 on Star Island. Cermony in the old 17th century church and small reception at Star Island hotel with main reception being held on the mainland a couple days later. We have you both on our Star Island list, I really, really, hope you can make it.

Carol said...

Hello Krystal and Matt,
What a sweet ending to your adventure. What you have learned from Philippine culture you can apply in your personal life. You have always taken time out to enjoy life. Simplify your life will help you do that. I hope you and your families are enjoying the ending of your adventure. Stay safe and peace love you Mum