Categories

Saturday, January 14, 2012

Gatas!!

Joining the Peace Corps and being placed in the Philippines has allowed me to experience life in the Pacific once again. A long long time ago in a galaxy far away my family and I used to live on an island called Saipan in Micronesian near Guam. It was here that my brother Adam and I faced some of the greatest challenges of our young childhood, most notably, as avid and insatiable milk drinkers we had no choice but to drink a strange form of milk that came out of a plastic coated cardboard box that could sit on the shelf for about 6 months without going bad. This unique milk had a very distinct taste and needless to say was very different than the taste of the fresh milk that we could get in the US. After living in Saipan for two years we eventually became accustomed to the boxed milk and when we returned to the US it was the fresh bottled milk that tasted strange! I write this blog because this morning I had a big glass of the same type of boxed milk that we used to have in Saipan and I suddenly became very nostalgic. All in all, while I miss the fresh milk of home, boxed milk will always hold a strange niche in my life. 

No comments: